Laminate Flooring – Cleaning and Maintenance
If you’ve just installed beautiful new laminate flooring in your home or want to know how to keep your floors looking new for years to come, the most important aspect in keeping your flooring looking great for an extended period regardless of the style or material is care. Here are a few cleaning and maintenance tips to keep in mind specifically for laminate flooring.
- Regular cleaning of laminate flooring means that there is less chance of everyday mess and loose dirt damaging and/or scratching the floor in the long run. When there is mess or dirt promptly cleaning the floors using a broom or a vacuum with the bristles down (as to minimise scratches) will be sure to do the trick.
- When mopping be mindful never to use a steam mop and never use excessive amounts of water or any nasty abrasive cleaners, wax, polish or scourers. Again, this is to reduce the risk of scratching or damaging the flooring.
- Spills should be attended to as soon as possible as laminate flooring is constructed with a water-resistant surface, but is not 100% waterproof. Wipe up any spills as soon as possible with a dry material. If there’s a particularly pesky spot, a damp cloth should be all that is needed to lift it.
- In all situations avoid dragging furniture across the floors. Ensure to lift furniture having someone assist if possible. Another recommendation is to also use felt protective pads under legs to further prevent any potential scratches or damage.
- It is also important to keep the internal environment ventilated, protected from extreme sunlight and humidity to avoid distortion or fading of the flooring.
Sometimes, no matter how well you look after your flooring damage can occur. In this instance, give us a call at Carpet Connect and we can talk you through your options.